Sunday, July 10, 2011

Carob Fudge!

Solid carob bars DO NOT EXIST in Vancouver.  I have scoured every health food store within 20km for a solid carob bar and the closest I can get is carob chips, which usually have an unnecessary amount of sugar and oil in them.  Besides, I can't dip them in peanut butter.  So needless to say I have been CRAVING carob, and the other day I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I didn't use dates with these because I find that sometimes it is hard to completely break down the dates in a food processor (at least for mine, and for the dates I use).  Dates are useful in deserts because they act as a sweetener and they also help to bind the ingredients together, as do raisins.  I have seen several recipes that use dates for raw fudge, but I really wanted to get a completely smooth consistency and I think I achieved it without using dates.  But, if you don't have any honey or any coconut oil, try using a bunch of dates in this recipe (about 1 cup, 1 1/2 cups) to make all of the ingredients stick together.


Carob Fudge




2 cups Walnuts
1 cup Pecans
1/2 cup carob powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs Coconut oil
2 tbs Honey

Blend nuts in food processor until it reaches a flour-like consistency (or are finely ground).  Add carob powder and pulse.  Add the rest of the ingredients, you may need to add more honey to make it stick together or less depending on if you used dates or raisins.  Line a square tupper-ware container with wax paper, place mixture in container, freeze or refrigerate until mostly solid, slice into squares and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment